Solutions - Closed Containment
Goal: To catalyze a "Made in Canada" World Class Closed Containment Aquaculture Industry
- SOS is a Project Partner in the 'Namgis First Nation's KUTERRA land-based salmon farm. Click here for the latest informaton -includes progress updates, backgrounder, photos, and media coverage.
- Click here for videos on closed containment
- Click here for media coverage on closed containment salmon farming in general
- SOS commissioned reports by Dr. Andrew S. Wright; SOS Solutions Advisory Committee Member:
- "Salmon Aquaculture GHG Emissions - A Preliminary Comparison of Land-Based Closed Containment and Open Ocean Net-Pen Aquaculture" (Updated August 24, 2011)
- "Technologies for Viable Salmon Aquaculture - An Examination of Land-Based Closed Containment Aquaculture" (May 2010).
Further reports on closed containment:
- World Wildlife Fund; January 2014; Pre-study Opportunities and challenges for sustainable farming of salmon in closed systems and offshore in Norway
- March 2013; Closed Containment Salmon Aquaculture - Report of the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans
- January 2013: Atlantic Salmon Federation and Conservation Fund report on growout trial of land based freshwater, closed-containment systems for Atlantic salmon
- Reports and presentations from Tides Canada's Aqualculture Innovation Workshops
- Atlantic Salmon Federations pages on closed containment, includes presentations and abstracts from the October, 2012 ASF Workshop on Closed Containment
- The Royal Society of Canada Expert Panel; Sustaining Canada's Marine Biodiversity: Responding to the Challenges Posed by Climate Change, Fisheries, and Aquaculture; February 2012
- DFO Report (2010): "Feasibility Study of Closed-Containment Options for the British Columbia Aquaculture Industry"
- Interprovincial Partnership for Sustainable Freshwater Aquaculture Development (2008); Canadian Model Aqua-Farm Initiative Technical and Operational Assessment for the Canadain Model Aqua-Farm